What if you could make pizzas at home that were at least as good as if not even better than those you get delivered to your door? That would have to be a damn good pizza oven wouldn’t it! Fortunately for home pizza lovers there are several outdoor pizza ovens that can do just that. In this article I will be reviewing what I have found to be the best pizza ovens that will make home pizza delivery to your household obsolete.
Making the perfect at home pizza can be a challenge as you first have to make the perfect dough. Then even with the perfect dough it can all go to ruin when you put it in the oven. Ordinary ovens suck when it comes to making pizza and a dedicated pizza oven is a must if you want to make your own perfect pizza.
The main advantage of cooking pizzas in a pizza cooker compared to a normal oven is that pizza cookers can reach much higher temperatures. It’s these scorching hot temperatures that are perfect for pizza making and the reason why you will never get such good results in a normal oven.
Unlike indoor pizza ovens you have to take the weather conditions into account when using an outdoor pizza oven. The length of time it takes for the oven to heat up to the right temperature and then to cook your pizza outdoors is going to depend on the wind and the temperature. So don’t be surprised if your first few attempts at making pizzas outdoor yields variable results until you get the hang of how the weather affects your oven.
I have put to the test some of the most popular pizza ovens and reveal my recommendations in the following pizza oven reviews.
- 1 Pizzacraft Pizzeria Pronto Pizza Oven Review (and PizzaQue)
- 2 How Long Does the Pronto Take to Cook a Pizza?
- 3 What’s the Largest Pizza the Pronto can make?
- 4 Can the Pronto Run on Natural Gas?
- 5 Pronto: The Verdict
- 6 Where Can I Buy a Pronto Pizza Oven?
- 7 Blackstone Outdoor Pizza Oven Review
- 8 Where Can I Buy a Blackstone Pizza Oven?
- 9 Blackstone: What’s the Verdict?
- 10 Camp Chef Artisan Pizza Oven Review
- 11 What is the Maximum Pizza Size You Can Make with the Camp Chef?
- 12 Where Can I Buy a Camp Chef Pizza Oven?
- 13 Camp Chef: The Verdict
- 14 Buying Decisions! Which is the Best Pizza Oven for Me?
- 15 Pacific Living Outdoor Pizza Oven
- 16 Where Can I Buy a Pacific Living Pizza Oven?
- 17 Wood Fired Pizza Ovens
- 18 Il Fornino Wood Fired Pizza Oven
- 19 The Professional and Elite Ovens
- 20 iL Fornino Pizza Oven Verdict
- 21 Where Can I Buy an il Fornino Pizza Oven
Pizzacraft Pizzeria Pronto Pizza Oven Review (and PizzaQue)
For an affordable outdoor pizza oven that is portable and make great pizzas then the Pronto could well be what you are looking for. It has some great features such as its moisture vent that releases moisture as it’s cooking. So no more soggy pizzas!
The oven features a reflective heat shield inside so that heat is redirected back onto the top of the pizza to ensure that the toppings are cooked as well as the crust.
How Long Does the Pronto Take to Cook a Pizza?
The Pizzacraft Pizzeria Pronto can cook a pizza in just 5 minutes once it has been heated up to its operating temperature and will last up to two hours on its 1lb propane gas tank. I would make sure that you coat the surface of your pizzas with flour first to stop them sticking when you take them out.
What’s the Largest Pizza the Pronto can make?
The oven features a 14” pizza stone but you can’t cook all the way to edges so I would keep your pizzas to a maximum of 12” to avoid messing up the edges.
Can the Pronto Run on Natural Gas?
You’re in luck. There is now a natural gas conversion kit available for this oven so that you can connect it to a gas line on your patio.
Pronto: The Verdict
The Pizzacraft pizza oven is a great little pizza oven that can reach scorching highs of over 700 degrees. The Pronto is very easy to use yet it will take you a while to master the art of making the perfect pizza. It is also the perfect size for taking away camping with you and the fact that it runs off a 1lb propane tank means there’s no need to carry one of the huge 20lb tanks with you.
The Pronto oven can take a little while to heat up. On average it will take about 20 minutes to reach the high temperature required to cook pizza. The manual says it will take 10 minutes but in my experience, it’s been about twice that long. But seeing as this oven reaches temperatures double that of a normal oven it’s reasonable to expect it to take longer to heat up.
The worst feature is that it doesn’t distribute the heat evenly throughout the oven and as a result the back of the oven seems to get much hotter. You will probably find that you need to rotate the pizza 180 degrees halfway through cooking to ensure that it cooks evenly. It’s a shame it doesn’t have a rotating pizza stone like the Blackstone which we will look at next.
Where Can I Buy a Pronto Pizza Oven?
You can buy the pizza cooker on Amazon for a great price. I would also recommend reading the customer reviews on Amazon where it currently has an average rating of 4.6 stars out of 5 from 70 reviews and 70% of customers gave it the maximum 5 star rating.
Blackstone Outdoor Pizza Oven Review
An alternative to the Pizzeria Pronto for a similar price is the Blackstone pizza oven. This is a much more versatile oven than the pronto as it is not just limited to cooking pizzas. You can cook pretty much anything in it such as steaks and vegetables. Don’t expect to cook a whole chicken in it though as it doesn’t have the vertical height.
It can be quite confusing as depending where you buy this oven from it is either described as a pizza oven or a patio oven. It is however definitely more of a pizza oven with the ability to cook anything than a patio oven with the ability to cook pizzas.
- The oven features a powerful 60,000 BTU burner that heats up very quickly for consistent high temperatures.
- It features push button ignition that lights with a single click with no need for lighters.
- One feature that makes this oven stand out over all the others is that it has a rotating pizza stone that is powered by a rotisserie motor. This can either be run off of battery or mains power.
- The maximum size pizzas you can cook are 16” which is quite a bit bigger than the Pronto.
- The oven is mounted on a stand with four wheels that lock into position for stability.
- It is powered by a 20lb propane tank and there is no natural gas option.
Where Can I Buy a Blackstone Pizza Oven?
You can buy a Blackstone pizza oven on Amazon where you can get it for a great price and great customer service. At the time of writing, it has an average customer rating of 4.2 stars out of 5 from over 120 reviews with 58% of customers giving it a maximum 5-star rating.
Blackstone: What’s the Verdict?
This is a great pizza oven with the added benefit of being able to cook other types of food as well. It is certainly the most feature packed of the ovens on review here. It’s not the most portable option but if you’re not planning on taking it anywhere it could be perfect for you.
Camp Chef Artisan Pizza Oven Review
We will take a look at the Camp Chef Pizza oven which is our third and final propane pizza oven in this low price range. This again is available for a similar price to both the Pizzeria Pronto and the Blackstone. So your buying decisions will most likely be based on features rather than budget.
- Stainless steel construction.
- The oven has been designed to bake like a brick oven and this been achieved by a double layered ceiling that enhances the heating dynamics and a ventilated oven door.
- Takes only 15 minutes from ignition until fully preheated and ready to cook.
- Cooks pizzas in 3 minutes or less.
- Micro-adjustable valve for total flame control.
- Features built-in temperature gauge for monitoring internal air temperature.
- 17,000 BTU burner with electronic ignition.
- Runs on 1lb propane canister for easy portability and comes with an adapter to fit a standard 20lb tank.
- Mimics a wood-fired brick oven with its cordierite ceramic pizza stone.
What is the Maximum Pizza Size You Can Make with the Camp Chef?
The largest size pizza you can make is 12”. However, you can make two smaller pizza at the same time!
Where Can I Buy a Camp Chef Pizza Oven?
You can buy the Camp Chef pizza oven Amazon where are the time of writing it has an average customer rating of 4.7 stars out of 5 from over fifty reviews with 81% of customer giving it the maximum 5 stars.
Camp Chef: The Verdict
This is a very similar spec pizza oven to the Pronto and for a similar price, I think it’s the slightly better oven. It’s very portable and great for camping and most importantly it makes amazing pizzas.
Buying Decisions! Which is the Best Pizza Oven for Me?
At the time of writing, all three of propane powered outdoor pizza ovens reviews are selling for virtually the same price on Amazon. Personally, I think the Camp Chef is marginally better than the Pronto but the pizzas it makes are slightly smaller but it can make two at the same time.
The Blackstone isn’t quite as good as either of them for making pizzas but the difference is negligible and you can cook other food with it as well. The Blackstone is too big and heavy to be portable enough to take easily on a camping trip. So if portability is important then your choice should be between the Pronto and the Camp Chef which both have the option of running off a 1lb propane tank.
I would choose the Camp Chef as the best home pizza oven. However, if you are looking for the perfect authentic wood-fired pizza taste and don’t mind spending three or four times the money then carry on reading as I discuss my recommended wood fired pizza oven and also a high-end propane pizza oven.
Pacific Living Outdoor Pizza Oven
The Pacific Living Outdoor pizza oven is a high end pizza oven that runs on propane gas that and costs around the same price as a low-end wood fired pizza oven. However, it is much more than just a pizza oven in that you cook pretty much anything else in it as well. It’s like a much more expensive version the Blackstone pizza oven discussed earlier.
- The oven has a 16,000 BTU burner.
- Oven and cart are made from stainless steel.
- Include a deluxe all-weather cover.
- Cooking area I divided into three cooking racks.
- Can Cook up to a 16” pizza
The Pacific Living oven is for the outdoor cooking enthusiast who loves cooking pizza just as much as they love grilling. If it just pizza you want then you might prefer a wood fired pizza oven as that will give you a more authentic class pizza taste. It’s definitely a good all-rounder that doesn’t quite excel at pizza making like a wood fired oven or grilling like a dedicated grill such as Weber.
Where Can I Buy a Pacific Living Pizza Oven?
You can buy the oven on Amazon where it currently has an average customer rating of 4.4 stars out of 5 from 11 reviews with 64% of those giving it the maximum 5 stars.
Wood Fired Pizza Ovens
So far we have looked at three propane-powered pizza ovens that are all available for a similar price. However, nothing compares to a wood fired pizza oven. Wood fired pizza ovens however, are much more expensive. If you are looking for the perfect pizza however they can’t be beaten. I would recommend the Il Fornino wood fired pizza oven
Il Fornino Wood Fired Pizza Oven
If you are after something really special and you really must have the tastiest possible pizza then you need look no further than one of the il Fornino ovens. They make three different models that fall into three very different price ranges. Even the basic model is several times more expensive than a gas-fired pizza oven.
Features of the Basic Model
- Total cooking surface of 980 square inches is big enough to make two 12” pizzas at the same time. You could make a single 24” pizza but good luck trying to manoeuvre it in and out of the oven.
- The dome of the oven and the stand are made of stainless steel. The inside of the oven is a 6 piece tiled cooking surface made from 1” thick firebrick.
- Assembly is required and should take about 45 minutes to put together.
- The oven has a built in thermometer.
- The oven is easy to clean as it has an ash catching tray.
The Professional and Elite Ovens
The next step up from the Basic il Fornino oven is the Professional with the main difference being that it made from a much higher grade of stainless steel and features double the insulation.
The Elite series is a huge step up from the professional version and is good as pizza ovens get. The main difference is that the dome of the oven is built from firebrick and clay that are clad in stainless steel. This average cooking times for pizzas in this oven is less than 50 seconds.
iL Fornino Pizza Oven Verdict
For most of us one of the three propane pizzas ovens I reviewed earlier will be all we need to make the perfect pizza at home. But if you simply have to have the best pizza oven for home and want to turn your backyard into a pizzeria you can’t beat an ilFornino pizza oven. They simply can’t be beat for taste, build quality and authenticity.
Where Can I Buy an il Fornino Pizza Oven
All three models in the il Fornino range of pizzas are available on Amazon for great prices. The basic version at time of writing has an average custom rating of 4.3 stars out of 5 from over thirty review with 64% of customers giving it a 5 star review.